In this video, Marybeth, Paddle Adventurer shares what is now required by law when paddle boarding in Canada and other safety items you should consider.
If you are paddling across a body of water, getting from point A to B, you are navigating and require the following under the Small Vessel Regulations by Transport Canada:
- Whistle (sound signalling device)
- Life Jacket/PFD
- Option 1: Carry the lifejacket on board, you must also have a buoyant heaving line at least 15m (49’3”) * does not apply to inflatable PFDs. These must always be worn
- Option 2: Wear your life jacket and no buoyant heaving line is required
- Buoyant Heaving Line at least 15m (49’3) *see above for exception
- Watertight flashlight: required for lowlight or nighttime (after sunset or before sunrise)
Check out Marybeth’s blog for more information.
View all comments