ASK THE EXPERTS December 2022 # 32

Welcome back to another ‘Ask The Experts’. ATE is where we bring to you discussions, insights, rants, news, our general thoughts about the SUP industry and of course still answer your questions we have had over the last month.

Cam
1 month ago

Regarding Honu. You said some exciting things are coming. Could you please spoil it now cause as soon as boards become available in North America I want to pull the trigger on one. However, It sucks when I buy something and 2 weeks later a better product comes out by the same company

seanross
seanross
1 month ago

damn no gloves and booties? Where I surf, on the east coast of the US the water gets down in temp to 30s and 40s (hovering around 0 celsius), and I definitely wear gloves. Not as heavy as a surfers gloves, but definitely need them. Test gloves before you buy, as I have had an issue with gloves that don’t grip the paddle. I use hyper flex as they work well with my paddle. 5mm for boots and gloves which does well until the wind picks up and the temp gets under 32degrees farenheit (0 celsius)

Beau Nixon
Editor
Reply to  seanross

Oof that’s cold Sean! Gloves definitely needed with temps like that. I wear gloves in the UK as I’m from Australia and think it’s freezing! Thanks for your suggestion for which gloves to buy. Very helpful.

JohnnyChaos
JohnnyChaos

A comment on cold water gear. I didn’t realise until I got my more expensive wetsuit that they often generate extra heat from the friction of the lining against your skin, so if you wear a rash, or neoprene, vest underneath it can make you colder. Up in Yorkshire we are within the coldest stretch of sea in the UK so gloved and booted for a while now. I’ve found the Rip Curl Dawn Patrol 3mm gloves excellent for paddling. They’re so grippy you don’t need to try and hold your paddle and never get the wrist fatigue I used… Read more »

Beau Nixon
Editor
Reply to  JohnnyChaos

Thanks for the comment John! Definitely gets cold up your way. I’m in gloves in winter because I feel the cold coming from Australia. Very true about the wetsuit heat as well. Great recommendation on the gloves you use. Cheers!

Geoffrey Urwin
Geoffrey Urwin

I am a beginner , but more important old ! (71). I’m going to be paddling SUP from March until October. The age is significant because I do feel the cold. Can you recommend the best wet suit thickness to help . Paddling in South UK. As an old rookie = balance issues, I anticipate falling in a lot to begin with. Thanks Geoff

Last edited 6 days ago by Geoffrey Urwin
caz
caz
Reply to  Geoffrey Urwin

I’ve got the girlie Palm dry suit and I bloomin love it! I usually – In 0 degrees – only need to wear with it a sports vest and 1 set of ski base layers. I also wear ski socks, and Palm neoprene gloves (with fingers) and some old trainers and a bobble hat. Mind you , if I start to get cold, I do some HIIT!