iSUP Surf Board Test 2022 / SUPBOARDER PRO HEAD TO HEAD

In this SUPboarder PRO head to head test we put 11 surf iSUPs priced between £400 and £1400 up against each other. Surf iSUPs have been on the market for afew years now, and in 2022 there are definitely more than 2 to choose from! Whether you're looking for a compact surf SUP to take on holiday with you or leave in the back of your car, or for easier storage at home, the range of surf iSUPs now available has something for everyone. Heavier riders will most likely be looking for more stable boards with more glide. And lighter riders will be looking for boards with less weight and thickness. Our head to head comparison will help you decide which board is right for YOU!

Stephen Thomson
Stephen Thomson
2 months ago

Great test guys, an eye opener for me about how well you can surf an ISUP.

2 months ago

Thanks Stephen. I think we will add a video on SB Pro soon with all of the hammerings soon.

Andreas Kopp
Andreas Kopp
2 months ago

thanks guys for a very in depth review. crazy to see how jp australia hit the nail on the head with that board 5 years ago. if only the new lightboardcorp 3L MFT PLATIN WAVE 9´6″ X 31″ X 4.8″ LSUP-04.020made it onto the list. but your review on these boards makes me think, that its nose and tail will be to flat also. maybe you got a chance to test it in the future. seems to be a good board for heavier/ beginners in really small to maybe should height.

Reply to  Andreas Kopp

Hey Andreas, thanks for the comment. Yes you are right this would’ve been another board to get on the test for sure. Maybe it’s another board we can do a separate mini test on and add it into the mix, along with the Itiwit and the smallest Starboard.

Richard Perriss
Richard Perriss
2 months ago

Hey guys, great test. Been looking forward to this one.
Can I ask which board you would recommend for a reasonably competent flat water paddler, but complete beginner surfer who’d like to give it a try. Much as I’d love the Starboard, I don’t the budget will stretch that far for something that may turn out to be beyond me. Thanks.

2 months ago

Hey Richard, what weight are you?
something with a bit of length would be easier to catch waves.

Depending on your weight the Aqua Planet Wingtail is a good cheaper option.

let me know Thanks reuben

Richard Perriss
Richard Perriss

Sorry, 70 kg

1 month ago

Hey Richard The Gong is a really good value board its just a shame it hasn’t got more rocker. So as long as you are aware that you are going to nose dive more on this board compared to the other boards. It’s still a great board to paddle and catch your first waves and if you’re going to be catching waves of no more than waist high, it still could be a really good board to look at. But if you understand its downfalls it will make it easier to surf, or you will have more excuses of when… Read more »

Richard Perriss
Richard Perriss
1 month ago

Thanks Reuben. I rewatched them video and take your point about the rocker. Given that I’ll be starting in small waves, hopefully it will be less of a problem. Be good to make sure my technique is good!
I have actually bought your ex-test Gong through Will now, so we’ll see how it goes (when it’s warmer!)

1 month ago

Cool Richard, yeah in small waves it will be alot of fun. And I think you will agree the build quality is pretty good as well.

Richard Perriss
Richard Perriss
1 month ago

Was thinking the Gong looked good value.

greenwatersports
greenwatersports
2 months ago

Great review. Follow up with the Wedge would be great.

2 months ago

Thanks guys, Yeah it needs to be done.

Karabo
Karabo
2 months ago

I’m intrigued as to what the board furthest away is I know the rest and have used most of them but it doesn’t even look like an inflatable I’m shocked

Reply to  Karabo

Hey Karabo Are you looking at the https://www.tripstix.de/en/beluga-wave-sup/ ?

Karabo
Karabo
2 months ago

Yeah that’s the exact one incredible how it’s inflatable on the surf clips it doesn’t look it at all

cam
cam
2 months ago

Great test guys. why did you not include the Honu Bondi ? Also, I am thinking about getting a Honu Byron for surfing in Tofino. Considering I only get to surf one day a year ( Tofino is expensive and I can only surf for a couple of hours then cant get out of bed for the rest of the holliday) I know the Honu Byron wouldnt be as good for surfing as the Starboard but I cant really surf any how and I think the Byron would be better for non surfing days. I guess my question would be… Read more »

Reply to  cam

Hey Cam Thanks for sending over your question and comments. The Bondi is definitely a board that also needs to be considered, but it unfortunately didn’t make it into the test, but because of this I think we will do an update adding this board and the Itiwit and potentially new starboard into the mix on a separate video. But you are right the all the Honu’s are superlight and will surf well because of that, just like the red. I think the Byron could be a good bigger board to a catch few waves on but obviously paddle on… Read more »

cam
cam
1 month ago

Thanks for the reply Reuben. I have the red whip with one fin. I may sell it to fund a honu. However I went to Tofino 3 years in a row and the first 2 years I took lessons and couldnt stand up. The 3rd year no lessons and just practiced on my own on the whip. I stood for a second. I found the whip faster and maybe easier then the school boards. Anyhow, Why cant I use my whip as a long board with out a paddle ? I really prefer to walk to the waves anyways. Aggresive… Read more »

Reply to  cam

Hey Cam , These are all really good questions. You can use your Whip for surfing and it will get you into some fun waves. But the reason why it would work better with more fins, is due to the amount of grip the extra side fins give you. iSUP’s don’t have very good rail shape towards the back of the board to give the board much hold/grip to the wave face (By grip I mean, as the board is moving along the wave face the board would just slide down it and wouldn’t want to track along the wave.)… Read more »

Cam
1 month ago

Thanks Rueben for a great explanation. I dont really get Red. They are a top brand at a high price point but seem to have made some big blunders.I wonder if their boards leave the design room too early. Even the new board doesnt have a kick pad. I am no surfer but isnt that pretty dumb considering how expensive these boards are? Maybe they shouldnt be in the ISUP surf game. Harsh words but I bought 3 of their boards so I put my trust in their brand. One question Ruben. Would you say that the rocker on my… Read more »

Reply to  Cam

Hey Cam I do get what you are saying and its a shame that they haven’t got a kick pad on the new boards for sure. I guess this will effect the compact nature of the board. But the board does make up for this in the way it surfs. Regs, your whip and rocker shape. I think the rocker line is about the same as the new board but because the new board is lighter it doesn’t nose dive as much. The rocker on the whip is about average across other brands boards. Most iSUP will require more tail… Read more »

Salmonpincher
Salmonpincher
1 month ago

Great reviews. The red compact not having a tail kicker is such a bad idea. I understand why (for folding & so it packs down), but nothing but a flat pad would put me off

Reply to  Salmonpincher

Yep agree with you there! Thanks for the comment
Reuben

Olivier Decroly
Olivier Decroly
1 month ago

Excellent review ! Not surprised by the SB ! seeing I am using the Airline for race training and being heavy weight (95kg), very stiff and high quality. SB got also the best SUP surfers in the world in their team. If I would go for a iSUP Surf, I def go for the SB !

1 month ago

Thanks for the comment Olivier.

Marc
Marc
1 month ago

Anyone here own the AquaPlanet Wingtail ?
I’m assuming this is the same board as the Hurley PhantomSurf 9′

… I’m looking at the Hurley as a beginner SUP-surfer. I paddle flat/rough ocean water on touring boards quite a bit in BC Canada…want to surf Tofino and other occasional swells locally.

Reply to  Marc

Hey Marc I haven’t seen the Hurley package up close. But the board outline does look the same. Should still surf the same way. It was a lot of fun the wingtail… heavier but still surfed well!

amirizal ishak
amirizal ishak

hi guys, just want to share my experiences in i-SUP; pretty new, during the last session, it had was my 4th times. I have itiwitt 9′ x 32″ x 4″ (reviewed by SB). The first 3 session I have been trying with Itiwitt. It is not until my fourth session; i decided to try another board by Gong (old version), 10’6 x 30″ x 4″. Even with the 1st attempt, I managed to catch the wave and ride nicely. I named it after as a magic board. even a small bump, i could catch it. my confidence in supsurfing was… Read more »

Reply to  amirizal ishak

Thank you for a very good comment, what you have described is very true when you are getting into iSUP surfing. Having the longer board will allow you to track better and get on the waves much earlier. I believe the Gong that you are using will also have a larger centre fin which will really help aid this as well. However the shorter Itiwit is a much more of performance shape iSUP so as soon as you are confidently catching waves and want to start to turn the board, it will be much easier to surf. This is the… Read more »

Cam

OMG Reuben ! The compact 810 just came out in Canada. $2500.00 aprox with tax. Except for the 2 fins and 2 less pounds It doesnt look that much different than my one fin whip. I had the compact 9.6. I loved it but sold it. I have sellers remorse but I was a bit heavy for it for supping at 200 pounds( well maybe It would of been ok once I became a better sup er).I think for the same price, a the compact 9.6 is a much better choice, higher rider weight and more all rounder( Am I… Read more »

Reply to  Cam

Hey Cam , as you know I got back to you about this on your other comment. But I do feel it is quite a high price point for you out in Canada.