The IBA (International Bodyboard Association) teamed up with GoPro for the ‘King of Pipeline Challenge 2013’ in Hawaii.
The 40 minute innovative expression sessions saw many of the world famous wave riders from different surf disciplines ride Pipeline in one contest. The riders who had been invited to participate included:
- Mike Stewart (Hawaii) – representing the bodyboarding discipline. Mike Stewart is a multiple bodyboarding and bodysurfing Pipeline Champion and regarded by many as one of the best surfers of Pipeline.
- Jamie O’Brien (Hawaii) – representing the shortboard surfing discipline. Jamie O is one of the most famous surfers at Pipeline and has won multiple titles in ASP events at Pipeline.
- Jeff Hubbard (Hawaii) – representing the bodyboarding discipline. Hubb is the current IBA World Champion and defending 3 times IBA Pipe Challenge Champion. Known for his aerial antics, be ready to watch him fly.
- Kainoa McGee (Hawaii) – representing the stand up paddle boarding (SUP) discipline is an all-round waterman who has forged a reputation for charging Pipeline on various craft though more recently on the bigger days at Pipeline on a SUP board.
- Mark Cunningham (Hawaii) – representing the bodysurfing division is considered the most famous bodysurfer in the world and a true master at surfing Pipeline. Mark has won multiple bodysurfing titles at Pipeline and around the world.
By public vote , Jeff Hubbard was voted 2013 King of Pipe. Voting was extended twice to break the three way deadlock between Jeff, Mike Stewart (bodyboard) and Kainoa McGee (Stand Up Paddle) with just 11 votes separating the top 3 after more than 85,000 views of the amazing heat.
1st – Jeff Hubbard
2nd – Mike Stewart
3rd – Kainoa McGee
If you want to check out a multi discipline surf contest closer to home remember to check out the Legends of the Bay competition at Watergate in April 2013, which involves the disciplines of kite surfing and stand-up paddleboarding.