Performance Surf SUP Board Test 2021 / SUPboarder PRO Head To Head

In our forth SUPboarder PRO test for 2021 we’re testing 100L Performance Surf SUPs – looking towards the Performance surf shapes that will offer a good level of performance for the more experienced riders but also the boards that will help the improver/intermediate SUP  surfers progress into more performance surfing.

seanross
seanross (@sesanross67)
5 months ago

To help the starboard in bigger waves, what would you try for fins?

Reply to  seanross

This would help for sure, if we had more time with the starboard we would’ve tried a few different fin setups.

seanross
seanross (@sesanross67)
5 months ago

My favorite SUP video. Learn a lot about SUP surfing shapes in these videos. Now I just need my daughter’s college to pay for itself so I can buy the starboard carbon! One question, have you guys ridden or hear about the pinetek construction on the starboards? I have read that they have made them lighter, and that they are super durable (more so than the carbon even).

Reply to  seanross

Hey Sean. Yeah we have heard some good stuff about the Pinetek board but not used any pro boards in that construction. We have just ordered some lower end construction Pro boards to test and ride. Just have to wait 4 months to get them now

jeroensurf@gmail.com
jeroensurf@gmail.com (@jeroensurfgmail-com)
5 months ago

Nice vid as always, even with the bad luck. Something I miss is what you guys weight because volume to body weight ratio is imo an pretty important factor. Being 95/97kg any 100l board will be too small while they are rather big for an 65kg person. And when talking about weight it might be useful to mention people with what weight should look at what size because some brand float with the same volume better as others. Question: can you compare in the next test the Starboard Pro expensive one also with the wood to see whats the influence… Read more »

Last edited 5 months ago by jeroensurf@gmail.com
5 months ago

Hey Jeron . Thanks for your great feedback. We are going to put our recommended weights in the written part of the post. Really good idea about the Starboard Pro boards in their construction. I lot of the time the Carbon board is the only board available. But we will look into doing this in the future.

tombradley
tombradley (@tombradley)
5 months ago

Nice review and great surfing!

Reply to  tombradley

Sorry it took so long Tom.

Sebastian Galdos
Sebastian Galdos (@sebastiangaldos)
5 months ago

Great test! Have been waiting quite some time for it but it was worth the wait! I have received just a couple of months ago my 2021 Starboard Pro 7.2 x 26.75 (87 liters) and im loving it, its incredibly loose on the waves, playing with different fins is good with that board too, changing to quad can help reducing the spin out sensation on the bottom turn this board can have in steeper faster waves… but for any other type of waves thruster setup is working nice. thanks for the great content!

5 months ago

Yeah, sorry about the wait Seb, Thanks so much for your feedback. I have just put an order in for a 7’2″ myself.

Sebastian Galdos
Sebastian Galdos (@sebastiangaldos)
5 months ago

Great Reuben, I subscribed mainly for the test but will keep subscribed for long time to support and see the great content! Im tryin a few different front fins and back fins on that same Pro 7.2 you will have so maybe soon I can come back with some info on that… Greetings from Peru!

4 months ago

Hey Sebastian, Im so stoked you are staying here with us on Pro. We have some great content lined up for the future. Let me know how you are getting on with the fins. I have just ordered a 7’2″ for next year too.

Joe
Joe (@joe)

Dear Reuben
Great video! Question this year and last year SB Pro won top board with two different shapes – Pitting the SB 2020 pro 7.5 against the SB 2021 Pro 7.7 which board did you prefer?

Reply to  Joe

For me thats easy… 2021 7’7″! Its a bigger board and it surfs like the smaller 7’5″ in size, if you get me? But I did feel that last years board could handle bigger waves. Good question Joe

Topmarque3
Topmarque3 (@topmarque3)
2 months ago

Please make content easier to watch from a smart TVs of stream to tv from smartphone

2 months ago
Reply to  Topmarque3

Yes this is something that we are looking into.

Joe
Joe (@joe)
2 months ago

Dear Reuben
Quick question what about the RRD? how did that perform? Traditionally, I thought you rode the old 7.7 RRD Iwave – is the new board as good as, poorer than the older board or is boards like the Fanatic/Starboard are just better designed?
Anyways best regards
Joe

2 months ago
Reply to  Joe

Hey Joe, Yeah I felt a bit funny about that board… reason is the board felt good and very similar to my old 7’7 but it just felt too long really to get into any good bits of the wave. The other (most) boards in test where shorter and this really helps in surfing those better waves.
I guess if you wanted a board with more glide and not wanting to get right in the critical section of the wave this board does work ok.
Does that makes sense?

mathieu raffy
mathieu raffy (@mathieu)
1 month ago

Hi everybody and thanks for the good work!
I have to improve my surfing so i know now that i must go on the JP australia…
I have only one question regarding my weight and the size of the board.
I’m 65 Kgs (143 lbs) and my actual board is a longboard type (9.0 and120 l)
Do you think the JP australia 8.1” would be appropriate (it would be my first shortboard type of sup) or do you think it will be too big for my weight?
Thanks in advance for your response.

1 month ago
Reply to  mathieu raffy

Hi Mathieu, Thanks for sending in your question. I feel it will be a good move, that will keep you progressing well in the waves. Yes i see your concern but I think dropping down to the shorter narrower board will be too much of a jump really. I think eventually your board will be around that 7’6 size. But the fastest way to get there is to do the right steps down to it. Remember you could always look out for a used second hand 8’1 to keep the price down. But I feel you will be getting a… Read more »

Mathieu Raffy
Mathieu Raffy (@mathieu)
1 month ago

Thanks a lot for this precious advice!
And keep on the good work.
Your videos and “head to head” test are really precious!

mathieu raffy
mathieu raffy (@mathieu)
1 month ago

Sorry to bother you again,
I have the opportunity to buy a used Infinity 7.7″ /26 ” B line.
It’s 78 l so i thought it was way to thin for me but i saw your 2020 head to head test and you say that the board is easy and very confortable for it’s size.
Would you recomand it to me?
Or should i pay extra euros for the JP australia 8″1 (that is nearly 2 times the price..)
Thanks in advance for your response
Mathieu

1 month ago
Reply to  mathieu raffy

hmm , its a really good board and the board that you will love in the future, but I feel it will make your progression slow down alot now. Its a stable boards for its size but its still way, way small compared to your existing board. Its a big drop in length and width in one go. Do you have the opportunity to try it on flatwater?

mathieu raffy
mathieu raffy (@mathieu)
1 month ago

Thanks a lot for your quick response.
I will follow your advice!
I will try to test the board but i’m not sure that the seller will give me that opportunity…

Thibault
Thibault (@tibo2po)

Bonjour à toute l’équipe et merci pour cette vidéo complète qui donnent des pistes pour choisir notre future board ! J’ai une question pour Ruben qui possède une RRD 7’7. J’ai la même série en 8′ (x28 102 l) depuis 2 ans et j’adore cette planche (la meilleure que j’ai jamais eu et j’en ai eu des boards), mais envie de changer et pourquoi pas descendre encore un peu en taille (je fais 1m82 pour 80/82 kgs). La Fanatic en 7’10 me tente énormément, cela semble être ce que je recherche. J’ai une opportunité sur une RRD 7’7 justement de… Read more »

Reply to  Thibault

Hi Thibault. Thanks for sending in your question. Im really glad you are enjoying your RRD, I do still ride mine, but its getting old… 6 years. I feel that the Fanatic 7’10” is a more stable board compared to the 7’7′ RRD. I will list the Pros and cons to both below. RRD Pros & Cons Faster then Fanatic Better in weaker waves Not as stable Fanatic Pros & Cons Better at doing more aggressive turns Nice thin tail for performance More stability compared RRD Needs steeper waves to really come alive I feel you should look at the… Read more »