‘Ask The Experts’ Monthly Video #24

Ask The Experts has evolved to bring you discussions, insights, rants, news and our general thoughts about the SUP industry. Of course, we still answer your questions and weave these answers into the discussion. We hope you enjoy.

Andrew Goodricke
Andrew Goodricke (@woodyrew)
1 month ago

You’ve not done much on foiling or winging recently, is this an a domain you’re no longer focusing on? You mentioned a foil head-to-head test, is this off the cards?

Andrew Goodricke
Andrew Goodricke (@woodyrew)

Great to hear! I shall look forward to it.

jonathan Hebert
jonathan Hebert (@jonnyhsl)
1 month ago

I’m with Lucy on the two piece dry suit, for where i paddle in the UK it’s perfect, with all the different options you get, and .. even if you do fall in, you dont get that wet, and being windproof you can warm up again, or at least stay warm till you get back. i’ve seen the Supskins race suit, and it looks and feels Amazing, and certainly on my list for the future, i think these are a far better option for “most” UK paddling, i love how you can have it custom sized too!! the one thing… Read more »

janehunt77
janehunt77 (@janehunt77)

Thanks for talking about lighter riders! I’m 5’4” and 120lbs but regularly join distance paddles with a performance group here in Canada. I would like a 14’ isup so I can have the glide and speed to keep with the group without having to work harder! But most of the longer boards are just so heavy, with unnecessary volume or width etc.

janehunt77
janehunt77 (@janehunt77)

I have tried a friend’s 14′ x 25′ (maybe 24″?) Starboard All Star inflatable but I found it a bit too unstable. I prefer to stay on the board when doing buoy turns! I recently borrowed a 14′ x 27″ NSP O2 Race FSL, and found the additional width added great stability, yet narrow enough to be comfy to paddle, but it had a very low inflated PSI, no bungies, no kickboard etc., so haven’t wanted to bite the bullet and buy one without exploring other options. I’ve looked at other inflatable race boards (I don’t really need all the… Read more »

Damienpc
Damienpc (@damienpc)

Sorry to butt in, but I’ve always been annoyed that Naish don’t publish their weights, making desktop comparisons very difficult. I leaves me feeling they are trying to hide something, which I suspect they are. I would suggest to Naish they are not really playing with the big boys until they publish their weights. Disclosure of weights would inevitably put pressure on their design team to innovate resulting in lighter Naish boards over time. Hiding this sort of data ultimately hurts their brand.

Damienpc
Damienpc (@damienpc)

A future content suggestion….I’ve noticed there’s heaps of video out there on catching and surfing a wave, surf etiquette and everything else but very little about getting through the break zone, which I find the most challenging part. I think that SUP surfers making the videos often forget how hard it was getting through the break zone when they were starting out. Thx Damien

idguinness
idguinness (@idguinness)

For gear longevity. In 2016 I bought Red Paddle Co 12’6″ Sport  and  Red Paddle Co 11’0″ Sport SUP. I inflate and deflate for almost every use. The boards have held up to tons of use and still work great, to the point that I kind of wish the 12’6″ would go to allow me to buy a new board.